Monday, July 11, 2011

Snow Time!!


Well what wonderful weather for quilting and creating. Yesterday (Sunday) it actually snowed almost all day, but mixed with rain, the snow didn't settle down here in Taroona. Further down at Kingston through to Kettering, and on the mountain and surrounding hillsides there was still lots of snowy piles at lunchtime today.
My Art to Wear has returned from Sydney in reasonable condition although not pristine. Sadly I found the ATW a little ordinary this year, and my outfit certainly seemed pretty lifeless in it's setting at the show, maybe it's the lighting and the predominently black and red surroundings.
Now working on two sample quilts, some cushions for my daughter's new home, several machine embroidery projects and spent the weekend cleaning up the "studio" to make room for a new computer which will eventually replace the rather old model currently in use there. This will be terrific as I will be able to connect to the internet right along side my machine, so can sew along with things like the Bernina tutorials and other information sources. Robert, my daughter's partner, is my computer wizard and has devoted much time to upgrading and programming the new toy, he is really very good to me and is teaching me lots of new computer stuff.
Today's photo is from 2009 ATW - the theme was black and white, and I think, was much more spectacular with all the garments on white mannequins. Mine was called Bye Bye Blackbird. It was made from heavily embroidered black silk dupion, studded with about 1000 black swarowski crystals on the bodice, digitised flowers embroidered and cut out of double white organza with a soldering iron, heavily embroidered and beaded bag, black silk nickers with machine embroidered lace edgings on the legs, skirt hand beaded white garden netting with about 1500 beads, net mask made from digitised flower embroideries and hand beaded edgings, Blackbird cuff, machine embroidered and hand beaded.

No comments:

Post a Comment