Sunday, April 4, 2010

Quilting with the Bernina 820

If you are lucky enough to own this new Bernina model you will know what a beautiful machine it is, although very different from other machines of all brands. I am gradually getting to know the various differences apart from the obvious ones, like the extra large bobbin, and different bobbin tension adjustment. My latest experiment was with twin needle quilting in a border. Threads need to be placed either side of the top tension disc then brought down through the system together, parted and threaded into each needle manually. I had to stand to do this, and watch carefully, because the tension disc is on the top of the machine rather than at about eye level as on most others. The top tension needed to be lowered to 1.5, and the foot pressure lowered to 45, and I used 4.0 width, 90/16 twin needles. It took some time to arrive at these settings, and the bag for thread scraps taped to the table got plenty of additions. But, once set correctly, I was able to stitch a lovely double curving line, in Madeira Black Jewel thread, which I think looks very attractive.

1 comment:

  1. I hear that post purchase support is fabulous...in Victoria! EK

    ReplyDelete